Counsel participates in affiliate packages with numerous corporations. Hyperlinks originating on Counsel’s web site that result in purchases or reservations on affiliate websites generate income for Counsel . Which means that Counsel could earn a fee if/whenever you click on on or make purchases by way of affiliate hyperlinks.
From bacon-wrapped volcano potatoes to scrumptious tacky potato mash, it might seem that the standard spud at all times wants a contact of revolutionary creativity and a wide range of components to develop into a mouthwatering dish. But, Pommes Anna, a basic French facet dish, is proof that not each potato dish wants numerous components to be a showstopper. Solely two components are wanted to make this conventional and stylish dish, plus salt and pepper, and a few finesse.
And don’t be fooled by its slightly brief ingredient record. Pommes Anna was dubbed the “supreme potato recipe of all time,” in line with Julia Child. Now, if that doesn’t converse volumes, we don’t know what is going to.
What Is Pommes Anna?
Pommes Anna or Anna potatoes is a basic French facet dish of thinly sliced layered potatoes cooked in a heavenly quantity of butter. Though the components of butter and potatoes could not sound exceptional, the best way through which Pommes Anna is ready units it aside from all the pieces else.
Pommes Anna, just like potatoes au gratin, is ready with thinly sliced potato medallions layered and baked collectively. Not like a gratin, nonetheless, Potato Anna doesn’t include cream or cheese. It’s the potatoes themselves dripping with butter that actually steal the present.
Additional, the potatoes are organized in overlapping concentric circles, revealing a shocking show when flipped onto a platter. Consequently, Pommes Anna turns into a potato cake marvel with golden brown crispy-like shingles and a fork-tender buttery heart. It’s no surprise Julia Child was smitten with this savory masterpiece.
However, how precisely do you put together it? It solely takes potatoes and butter to make this showstopper. And, maybe an oven-safe nonstick skillet, similar to a carbon metal pan, which has the entire advantages of forged iron with out the drawbacks.
With the perfect pan, you’re assured to get these brown and crunchy edges that make Pommes Annas so swoon-worthy.
Pommes Anna Recipe
- 2 massive Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/4 cup unsalted clarified butter
- salt and white pepper, to style
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. With a mandoline, thinly slice the potatoes to about 1/8 inch thick. As you chop, place the slices in a bowl of chilly water to forestall discoloration. Earlier than meeting, pat the potato slices dry with paper towels.
- Over medium warmth, soften 2 tablespoons of butter in a well-seasoned oven-safe nonstick skillet. In a round sample, layer the potato slices beginning on the heart and dealing your approach outwards, overlaying the underside layer of the pan. Brush with butter and season with salt and white pepper to style.
- Proceed layering two extra occasions, brushing with butter between every layer and seasoning in between. Cook dinner at medium-high warmth for 5 minutes or till the underside begins to brown.
- Shake the pan gently to verify whether or not the potato cake is sticking to the underside. Cowl the pan with parchment paper or tin foil and place it within the oven for an additional 10 to fifteen minutes. Take away the duvet and prepare dinner the potatoes for five to 10 minutes extra or till they’re tender.
- From the oven, gently invert the Pommes Anna onto a serving platter. Strive operating a knife across the edges and utilizing a spatula to loosen the cake from the pan if it gained’t come free. As soon as the cake has been transferred, slice into wedges. Get pleasure from!